- Brand: Thyrocare
- 14 Reviews
Rs. 830 0% Off
- Brand: Thyrocare
- 14 Reviews
Tests Included (1+)
Homocysteine is an amino acid that is typically present in very small amounts in all cells of the body. That is because the body normally converts homocysteine into other products quickly. Since vitamins B6, B12, and folate are necessary to metabolize homocysteine, increased levels of the amino acid may be a sign of deficiency in those vitamins. This test determines the level of homocysteine in the blood and/or urine.
Elevated homocysteine may also be related to a higher risk for coronary heart disease, stroke, peripheral vascular disease (fatty deposits in peripheral arteries), and hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis). High levels of homocysteine increase the risk of blood clot formation in vessels and may lead to heart attack and stroke. Several mechanisms have been proposed for how homocysteine leads to cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk, but direct links haven not been confirmed. There are also several studies that indicate no benefit or lowering of CVD risk with folic acid and B vitamin supplements. So far, the American Heart Association does not consider it a major risk factor for heart disease.
A rare inherited condition called homocystinuria can also greatly increase homocysteine in the blood and urine.
How is it used?
The homocysteine test may be used the following ways:
- A healthcare practitioner may order a homocysteine test to determine if a person has a vitamin B12 or folate deficiency. The homocysteine concentration may be elevated before B12 and folate tests are abnormal. Some healthcare practitioners may recommend homocysteine testing in malnourished individuals, the elderly, who often absorb less vitamin B12 from their diet, and individuals with poor nutrition, such as drug or alcohol addicts.
- Homocysteine may be ordered as part of a screen for people at high risk for heart attack or stroke. It may be useful in someone who has a family history of coronary artery disease but no other known risk factors, such as smoking, high blood pressure, or obesity. However, the exact role that homocysteine plays in the progression of cardiovascular disease has not been established, so the utility of the screening test continues to be questioned. Routine screening, such as that done for total cholesterol, has not been recommended.
When is it ordered?
This test may be ordered when a health practitioner suspects that a person may have a vitamin B12 and/or folate deficiency. Signs and symptoms are initially subtle and nonspecific. People with an early deficiency may be diagnosed before they experience any overt symptoms. Other affected people may experience a variety of mild to severe symptoms that can include:
- Fatigue, weakness
- Loss of appetite
- Rapid heart rate
- Shortness of breath
- Sore tongue and mouth
- Tingling, numbness, and/or burning in the feet, hands, arms, and legs (with B12 deficiency)
Homocysteine testing may be ordered as part of assessing a person’s risk of cardiovascular disease, depending on the individual’s age and other risk factors. It may also be ordered following a heart attack or stroke to help guide treatment.
- Fill the booking form on right side with Name, Address, Mobile no.
- Blood/Urine samples will be collected from your Home address. 10-12 hrs fasting is required.
- You need to make the payment by cash to Thyrocare when Technician comes to pick up the samples OR Pay online after confirmation of booking.
- Reports will be couriered at your residence in 3-4 working days if hardcopy is opted. We will email the reports within 48-72 hrs on your email address mentioned while booking.
- Sample pickup at home
- Online reports within 48 hours
Brand: Nutricia International Private Limited
At Second Medic, we offer a comprehensive range of lab tests to help diagnose and monitor a wide variety of medical conditions. Our state-of-the-art laboratories are equipped with the latest technology and staffed by highly trained professionals, ensuring that our patients receive accurate and reliable results.
We offer a wide range of lab tests, including blood tests, urine tests, and other diagnostic tests. Our lab tests are designed to provide a comprehensive view of a patient's health, allowing us to detect and monitor medical conditions early on, and make informed treatment decisions.
We understand that lab tests can be stressful, which is why we strive to make the process as easy and comfortable as possible for our patients. Our team of friendly and compassionate professionals are always available to answer any questions or concerns that our patients may have.
At Second Medic, we are committed to providing the highest quality lab tests and personalized care to our patients. We believe that every patient is unique and deserves a personalized approach to their healthcare, and we work closely with our patients to develop individualized treatment plans that meet their specific needs.
If you are in need of lab tests, we invite you to schedule an appointment at one of our convenient locations today. Our team looks forward to serving you and helping you achieve optimal health and wellness.