10 Simple Steps to reduce anxiety/stress in the current situation
10 Simple Steps to reduce anxiety/stress in the current situation when there are a lot of uncertainties in our world right now. Being slightly anxious even enables people to be cautious, which in turn keeps them safe. Obviously, if the stress rises too much, it can become an issue.
• Even with the current restrictions, a range of things can be done to reduce anxiety:
1. Adding more structure to the day (doesn’t have to be a rigid routine) and keeping one occupied e.g. waking up at same time, exercise, breakfast etc.
2. Breathing exercises, slow breathing ( 10-15min) in particular is very effective.
3. Yoga- stretching relieves muscle tension that builds up with anxiety/ stress!
4. Indoor exercises/ outdoor walks if possible
5. Staying in touch with family/ friends on phone improves mood as well.
6. Restrict time on social media, particularly at night. It has some debilitating effects.
7. Good sleep- can try calming apps, reading books, favorite tv series
8. Reduce coffee/ other caffeinated drinks as these can worsen anxiety. Healthy diet helps!
9. Talk to local counsellor/ psychiatrist if above aren’t working. There are many medications that can help reduce anxiety!
10. Stay positive
Dr Shweta Sharma
Speciality: Psychiatry / Mental Health/Dementia/Memory loss
Qualification: MBBS, MRCPsych (UK), FRANZCP (Australia), Cert. Forensic Psych.
What are the Health Benefits of Eggs?
Which food is Best for high blood pressure?
Which food is worst for high blood pressure?